Hillcrest Community Garden Rules and Guidelines 2023
The following are rules for all gardeners.
They are designed to make your gardening experience enjoyable and productive.
Remember you are gardening alongside others. Good garden etiquette is necessary.
* Work within your assigned plot. Do not enter neighbouring plots without permission.
* Make your access path within your own garden area.
*Place any stones in the container at the end of your plot – not on the grass.
* If you are not able to continue gardening or maintaining your plot,
inform the garden coordinator.
* If the assigned plot has not been planted or tended to by July 1 without notice or explanation from the gardener, the plot will be reassigned.
*Remove stakes, wires, and non-compostable items by October 31st.
*At the end of the season plant material can be left on the plot to be tilled into the soil.
* Plant any large-sized or vine vegetable plants in the middle of your space
to prevent them from possibly shading or intruding into neighbouring gardens.
Remember you are sharing the sunlight.
* Planting potatoes is prohibited.
* Follow the instructions for hose usage
as posted by the tap at the East side of the church building.
* Whenever possible water with the hose nozzles in the early morning or early evening to reduce water loss from evaporation.
* Lawn sprinklers are not permitted.
* Do not leave the water hose unattended when turned on.
*Coil the hoses on the hose stands after use.
* Turn off the water nozzles and the water tap at the church when finished.
WEEDING and COMPOSTING:
* Keep your plot regularly weeded and tidy. Weeds compete with your garden plants for sunlight, nutrients, and water. Hoe when weeds are small and before they go to seed. They may be left on the ground to wilt. Place large weeds and other vegetation in the compost bin labelled ‘This Year’
* Weed ‘all’ your garden plot: between rows, your path,
and each end of your garden where it meets the lawn.
*Gardeners who don’t maintain their garden plot may forfeit their plot or not be given a plot the following year.
*Place only plant material and soil in compost bins.
Put garbage in the shed waste bin or church black bin.
* Do not use chemical weed control products.
* The garden tools and other items in the shed are for sharing among gardeners.
*Return tools and other items to the shed and lock the door before leaving.
Tools left on the ground are a hazard and interfere with grounds maintenance.
Lock combination instructions will be given to each gardener